Tuesday, January 26, 2016

Hiding

Readers often ask writers how they get ideas for their books. The spark that flamed into my romantic suspense story Hiding published by www.thewildrosepress.com was a trip to Paris. My niece and I stayed at a nice hotel, but the courtyard seemed to cry out for renovation. Because I dabble in painting myself, I could just picture a mural of a Paris café where the plain stucco walls stood.
I could see cheerful awnings and an herb garden that could provide spices for the hotel's culinary staff.

When I decided to make my main character an artist, I thought it would be a great way for her to reduce her hotel bill and get recognition for her artistic talents by letting her paint the mural I had envisioned. When it is photographed by the Paris newspaper, it allows her stalking boyfriend to locate her thereby furthering the plot.

Writers get ideas from many sources: history, travel, stories they have heard. For me, travel seems to get the creative juices flowing because I am more relaxed and interested in new surroundings. So if writer's block is hounding you, take a trip to somewhere you have never been and observe new territory.

No comments:

Post a Comment